SCI Resources Library News September 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 27 Sept 2017
- Mind, Body, Wheels: Chelsie Hill's Journey From Paralysis to Professional Dancer
- Paraplegic Hot Air Balloonist Flies High
- Paralympian, Theresa Goh, talks about the benefits of adaptive crossfit
- The proper way to perform cable rows with a spinal cord injury
- 20 Sept 2017 - Parenting highlights
- Redefining Fatherhood: Parenting a Child with a Disability
- Explaining Your Dad is Paralysed to Your Class
- 13 Sept 2017 - Relationships and caregiving highlights
- Paralysed Mum pushes forward for family
- How relationships change after SCI
- 7 Sept 2017
- World's first accessible waterpark
- Steps to follow when your wheelchair is damaged by an airline
- Accessible attractions in New York City
- Tips for booking a cruise when you have a disability
- 7 Sept 2017
- Accessible Morocco
Every Australian Counts
- SCI Highlights for September
- A quiet activist
- When disaster strikes are you ready
- 10 Things I'm sick of hearing as a person with a disability
- Things that don't work when you are paralysed - besides the obvious
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Biweekly newsletter 20 Sept 2017
- Biweekly newsletter 5 Sept 2017
- Quad photography
- Take back the kitchen
- Travelling in New Mexico
Physical Disability Council NSW (PDCN)
the Spin Magazine (Spinal Cord Injury BC)
- Fall 2017
- Stories from the Alaska highway
- Taking a Closer Look at Keeogo. At first glance, the Canadian-developed Keeogo is yet another exoskeleton. But when you dig deeper, it becomes clear that it’s a different device altogether—one that is providing remarkable restoration of function and stamina for some people with incomplete SCI.
- Dynamic wheelchair seating
- Treating and avoiding burns
- Fecal Incontinence Treatment Gets a Vote of Confidence
- and more......
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to discover information and resources the library has gathered on all things to do with pain.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the SCI Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the SCIA SCI Resources Library
SCIA's SCI Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the SCI Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.