SCI Resources Library News May 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
- A new report is out from the University of Melbourne talking about people's experiences with the NDIS so far - "Choice, control and the NDIS: Service users' perspectives on having choice and control in the new National Disability Insurance Scheme".
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
1. AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 31 May 2017 - Relationship and caregiving highlights
- Online dating advice for wheelchair users
- Valuable relationships and disability
- Ways caregivers can self advocate
- 24 May 2017 - Climbing a mountain, visiting a small town - travel can take you anywhere!
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro with Cerebral Palsy
- Accessible tourism in Australia
- Visiting Vaduz, Liechtenstein
- Discounted Public Transportation Options in Singapore
- 17 May 2017 - Tips for staying healthy
- Why paralyzed individuals shouldn't smoke
- How to shave as a quadriplegic
- Life lessions from a guy who can only move his face
- Going back to college after SCI
- 10 May 2017
- Quadriplegic creates artist paradise
- Tips for going out on wheels
- Adaptive burpees
- 3 May 2017 - From a child's birth through adulthood, embrace the parenting journey
- Paraplegic Mum deftly puts toddler in SUV
- Quadriplegic Dad documents memories with his daughter
- Dad to be experiences anxiety
2. Accord - (Spinal Cord Injuries Australia)
- Autumn 2017 - pdf / online
- Relationships and disability
- Relationships and continence: a guide to common issues
- and lots more....
- May Newsletter
- Research news
- Participate in research
- What's on
4. Carers NSW
5. Disability Council of NSW
6. Disability Horizons
- 29 May 2017
- The cost of being disabled
- Flying solo: a first experience of travelling alone as a disabled passenger
- 18 May 2017
- Podcast series with Liz Sayce: community participation and universal design
- 15 May 2017
- 5 things only siblings of a disabled person would know
- 11 May 2017
- Is the 'yes you can' mentality always best?
- 4 May 2017
- Can photography change societies' views of disabled people?
7. Every Australian Counts
News: Facing Disability has reinvented itself with a new design and faster connections to the website’s massive library of more than 2,000 original, high-quality HD videos. The videos focus on personal experiences in which people with spinal cord injuries and members of their families answer real-life questions about all aspects of living with paralysis. The medical information on the site is also more easily accessible: Intuitive navigation and enhanced search help users quickly sort through the 600 videos that feature top spinal cord injury experts answering important health questions. An updated, newly-curated “Resources” section is now a faster, smarter guide to spinal cord injury information and support on the web. The unique Peer Counseling program matches people who sign up with “someone like you” who has been dealing with paralysis for years.
- May 2017
- Spotlighting the remarkable success of the new Facebook private support group - "You are not alone"
9. Global Gazette Disability
10. Link - This weeks What's news in Disability
11. NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
12. New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Monthly magazine, May 2017
- Some accessible amusement parks to check out
- Fascia: Reducing pain with fascial release
- Read about some exciting new products featured at the 33rd annual International Seating Symposium
- and much more.....
- Biweekly Newsletter 18 May 2017
- Researchers Refine Brain-Controlled Technology for People with Paralysis
- Best Travel Products for Wheelchair Users
- Starting a Mindfulness-Based Meditation Practice
- Monthly magazine, April 2017
- Great American adventures - getting around Washington DC, Hot Springs National Park Arkansas, Mount Rushmore, Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park, Santa Cruz and some useful tips from the locals
- The truth about ageing (in the words of New Mobility readers)
- A brief history of the power chair
- and lots more......
13. Physical Disability Council NSW (PDCN)
14. Women with Disabilities Australia (WWDA)
Articles of interest from Academic journals
- Journal of Neurotrauma, vol 34, Issue 9, 2017 - Free access to Part one and Par Two of a special Issue on Spinal Cord Injury, Rehabilitation, and Locomotor Recovery.
- Actionable nuggets: knowledge translation tool for the needs of patients with spinal cord injury, Can Fam Physician 2015, vol 61(5). Pilot study examining the effectiveness of a strategy aimed at supporting family physicians to translate evidence into everyday practice for their patients with spinal cord injury.
An in-depth understanding of the impact of the environment on participation among people with spinal cord injury
Feng-Hang Chang, Cheng-Han Liu & Hsin-Ping Hung, Disability and Rehabilitation, Pages: 1-8
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with sexuality.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the SCI Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the SCIA SCI Resources Library
SCIA's SCI Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the SCI Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.