SCI Resources Library News June 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
22 June 2017: A really interesting article about the history of the ramp
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 28 June 2017
- Accessibility in Salzburg, Austria
- Accessible attractions in Japan
- 8 tips to make airline travel a little easier
- 10 wheelchair accessible woods and forests in the UK
- 21 June 2017 - Put yourself out there and recognize your true ability
- Paraplegic gains confidence playing wheelchair basketball
- Recognizing your true ability
- Stop trying to be invisible
- Using a glue gun as a quadriplegic
- 15 June 2017 - Take the leap, go for a ride, explore the ocean
- Quadriplegic scuba diver rediscovers freedom
- Quadriplegic base jumper
- Paraplegic's modified motorbike
- 7 June 2017 - Parenting highlights
- Stroke survivor becomes a Mum
- Accessible treehouse
- Bringing up a baby as a parent with a disability
- Paraplegic Mum redefines motherhood
- 22 June 2017
- The value of volunteering if you are disabled
- 19 June 2017
- Top tips for travelling abroad with a disability
- 5 June 2017
- Top 10 tips for accessible travel
- 1 June 2017
- Accessible Romania: a vibrant and welcoming country
Every Australian Counts
- June 2017
- Article - A wheel in two worlds
- Featured videos about employment and spinal cord injury
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- June 2017 issue
- Slovenia - Central Europe's accessible gem
- Temperature tantrums - finding and maintaining the ideal body heat can be the wheeler's worst nightmare.
- Outdoor recreation for everybody
- Biweekly newsletter 15 June 2017
- Freedom Trax - a roll on attachment that transforms your manual wheelchair into an off-road power chair
- Adaptive power boats for fishing and fun
- Accessible adventure in Slovenia
- Tips for mentioning disability on dating apps
- Biweekly newsletter 1 June 2017
- Summer outdoor programs
- What do you do on the anniversary of your SCI?
- Improving your chances of successful air travel
- Controlling your temperature
Physical Disability Council NSW (PDCN)
the Spin Magazine (Spinal Cord Injury BC)
- Summer June 2017
- Lack of sleep is a big problem with potentially serious consequences for many people with SCI
- Building an accessible home
- Going on a road trip
Spire - AQA Victoria
United Spinal Association
Wheel Love - Real life stories from two girls Sam & Chelsea living extraordinary lives with men who don’t let their wheelchairs define them.
- 20 June 2017
- Baby making 101: all the boring medical stuff
Topic of the Month
Are you thinking about going on a holiday and need some inspiration. This month we are featuring stories from people who have gone on a holiday. Read about their experiences and useful tips and tricks to have a successful trip away.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the SCI Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the SCIA SCI Resources Library
SCIA's SCI Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the SCI Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.