SCI Resources Library News July 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
Abilities (Canadian Abilities Foundation)
- Issue 109 Summer 2017
- Adaptive surfing
- My wheelchair is not a prison!
- Living with anxiety
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 26 July 2017
- Unique modified vehicles
- Quadriplegic clips his fingernails
- Making minor changes to move forward
- 19 July 2017
- Paraplegic mountain biker strives to defy misconceptions
- Quad mouthpainter helps raise awareness
- 10 July 2017
- Everyday parenting with a disability
- 6 July 2017
- Navigating the dating scene
- Pursuing love and intimacy in a wheelchair
- Caregiving: creating personal boundaries
Accord - (Spinal Cord Injuries Australia)
the Advocate (Spinal Life Australia Qld)
Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA)
- 13 July 2017
- Disability and sport: how a little exercise can have a big impact
- 10 July 2017
- Top 5 accessible cities for wheelchair users
- 3 July 2017
- Disability and travel - 10 reasons to visit Glasgow
Every Australian Counts
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- July 2017 Magazine
- Could Uber's NYC fleet be 25 percent accessible by 2021?
- and more......
- 19 July Newsletter
- Sam Schmidt, the former Indy car racer with C3-4-5 quadriplegia who recently raced Mario Andretti in adapted Corvettes has appeared on Jay Leno’s Garage.
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles - NM breaks down the various modes of travel
- Important, yet often overlooked, cancer screenings
- Knocked up - real life family planning
- 5 July 2017 Newsletter
- Home modification tips and tricks
- Iconic mobility tech improvements
- Ogo hands free personal mobility device now taking orders
- and more....
Wheel Love - Real life stories from two girls Sam & Chelsea living extraordinary lives with men who don’t let their wheelchairs define them.
Topic of the Month
This month take a look at all of the resources we have on getting active and recreation. Anything from fishing to yoga to boccia to jumping out of aeroplanes to accesssible shark diving tours in South Africa - something for everyone!
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the SCI Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the SCIA SCI Resources Library
SCIA's SCI Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the SCI Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.