SCI Resources Library News August 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
Disability Vehicle Sharing Revs Up in South Australia
Pro Bono Australia
“With all the changes happening around the NDIS a lot of service providers aren't sure what their transport needs are likely to be in the immediate ...
'We are a market... If business recognises the value of a billion people then society will'
An Irish woman is leading the first global campaign for businesses to include those with disabilities – beginning with a 1,000km trek across Colombia.
Accomable creates vacation-rental market for people with disabilities
San Francisco Chronicle
“Here I am with all these resources,” said Ghenis, 29, who has used a wheelchair since a spinal-cord injury 13 years ago. “When I travel, it would be ...
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 30 August 2017
- Quadriplegic Uses Spoon and Fork - Meg demonstrates how she eats a variety of foods
- Flushing a Supra Pubic Catheter - Chris demonstrates proper catheter maintenance
- Australia's First Wheelchair Model - Hallam is bringing more diversity into modeling
- 23 August 2017
- Paralympian skis across the South Pole for cancer research
- Wheelchair Boarding Down a Hill and Off a Curb - Erik shows you how he skateboards in his wheelchair
- Enjoying Activities Again Post Injury - Proof that you can lead an active lifestyle
- 16 August 2017 - Parenting highlights
- Improvisation: a necessity for parenting with a disability
- Parenting with a spinal cord injury: we'll do just fine
- 4 tips for handling your child's meltdown
- Don't go easy on my kid with a disability
- 9 August 2017 - Relationship and caregiving highlights
- Vulnerability and intimacy
- 6 Dating tips for people with disabilities
- Caregiving and feelings of unfairness
- Best advice on intimacy after SCI
- 3 August 2017 - Travel highlights
- Accessible attractions in Kanazawa, Japan
- Accessible and not so accessible features of paris
- Accessible travels in New Zealand
the Advocate (Spinal Life Australia Qld)
Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA)
- DANA Newsletter 17 August 2017
- Advokit-NDIS newsletter - 8 August 2017
- DANA Newsletter - 7 August 2017
Disability Council of NSW
- 31 August 2017
- Read about three disabled people who will not let themselves be limited
- 28 August 2017
- Disability and travel: face your fears head on
- 14 August 2017 - a comment on teamwork
Every Australian Counts
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- August 2017 Monthly magazine
- Shoulder of Fortune: surviving shoulder surgery
- and more.....
- Biweekly newsletter 16 August 2017
- Eye-tracking technology is about to get a whole lot cheaper
- It's nice that 'Game of Thrones' finally got Bran a wheelchair
- DIY service dog
- Avocados to the rescue
- An RV that fits your needs
- Biweekly newsletter 1 August 2017
- SCI anniversaries - marking the day
- The business of managing your personal care assistant
- August 2017
- Thinking and moving: The first recipient of implanted brain-recording and muscle-stimulating systems reanimates a limb that had been stilled for eight years.
- Come and play on a fully accessible golf course in Tacoma, Washington
- July 2017
- Accessible Austria
- Visit Cincinnati
Spire - AQA Victoria
- August 2017
- Do It Differently! Adventurer and disability advocate, David Jacka, is driven by his ambition to “challenge the limits of disability and raise expectations of what people with a disability can achieve”. In this blog, Dave shares with us how to ‘Do It Differently!’ can solve the problems that stop us from achieving our goals.
- and more.....
Wheel Love - Real life stories from two girls Sam & Chelsea living extraordinary lives with men who don’t let their wheelchairs define them.
Women with Disabilities Australia (WWDA)
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to see all the resources the library has gathered on all things to do with clothing and fashion.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the SCI Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the SCIA SCI Resources Library
SCIA's SCI Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the SCI Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.