Resources Library News November 2018
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
The power of thought: interface enables touchless tablet use, Cosmos, Researchers have created a brain-computer interface (BCI) that, for the first time, allows people with tetraplegia to operate a commercially available ...Brain-computer Interface Lets Paralyzed People Control Tablet Devices - Discover Magazine (blog) Full Coverage
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
Abilities - Canadian Abilities Foundation
- Fall 2018
- The disability collection: re-picturing disability in the creative process
- How to fight stigma with strength-based language
- and more...
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 21 Nov 2018
- Wheelchair user's tips on navigating New York City
- Quadriplegic's experience with Mitrofanoff procedure
- 14 Nov 2018
- In 2015, Srin and his childhood friend built a prototype for a web-app called Accommable. Over the next two years, his team scaled the accessible travel startup to list adapted properties in over 60 countries worldwide. In November 2017, Accommable was acquired by Airbnb with a shared goal to enable everyone to travel regardless of disability.
- 7 Nov 2018
- Travel hacks for wheelchair users
- Cosplay in a manual wheelchair
Accord - (Spinal Cord Injuries Australia)
- Spring 2018
- Art as a lifeline - how mastering mouth painting took Simon Rigg from despair to dignity
Christopher Reeve Foundation - News
- 23 Nov 2018
- A UK study into the private rental sector has found that over 90% of wheelchair users struggle to find accessible homes for private rent
- 17 Nov 2018
- 4 simple ways you can create positive change for disabled people
- Changing perceptions: don't think of me as disabled - Jimmy Curran, who has spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), is the founder of the lifestyle clothing brand [dis]ABLE, which aims to change the perception of those with disabilities.
Every Australian Counts
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- October 2018
- To push or not to push? - transitioning to a power chair.
- Care of the bladder and kidneys in later life
- Inclusive fashion
- Visiting Amsterdam
- Visiting Orlando in Florida
- and more.....
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Biweekly newsletter 15 Nov 2018
- New Swiss Epidural Stimulation Study Advances Functional Recovery
- Dating while disabled
- Around the World Flight for Disability Inclusion
- DIY Ramps to the Rescue
- IZ Adaptive Relaunches
- Mobility Tech Gearing up for Prime Time
- Biweekly newsletter 1 Nov 2018
- Catch up on the latest technology and equipment in the 2018-2019 New Mobility Consumer Guide
- The terrain hopper
- Booking an accessible hotel room - read one person's experiences and a hard-won plan
Articles of interest from Academic journals
- Women's experiences of sexuality after spinal cord injury: a UK perspective, Helen Thrussell, Maureen Coggrave, Allison Graham, Angela Gall, Michelle Donald et al., Spinal Cord 2018 56 :1084 - 1094; August 23, 2018.
- Determinants of participating in life after spinal cord injury – advice for health professionals arising from an examination of shared narratives
Delena Amsters, James Duncan, Victoria Field, Alastair Smales, Leanne Zillmann, Melissa Kendall & Pim Kuipers
- Peer mentorship for adults with spinal cord injury: a static group comparison between mentees and non-mentees' reported coping strategies, Meredith Anne Rocchi, Walter Zelaya & Shane Norman Sweet, Spinal Cord 2018 56 :1102 - 1109; September 25, 2018.
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.