Resources Library News November 2017
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury and disability, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
Meet the Kiwi who backpacked around the world solo in a wheelchair
Meet the Kiwi who backpacked around the world solo in a wheelchair ... when a car accident left him with permanent damage to his lower spinal cord.
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 22 Nov 2017
- Finding new love after a spinal stroke
- How family roles change after SCI
- Queer swimmer comes out and makes a stand
- 15 Nov 2017
- Four tips for the quadriplegic traveller
- Blazing a trail through the Viru Bog in Estonia
- 8 Nov 2017 - Lifeskills
- Meet Kaitlyn a quad amputee makeup artist
- Getting a sweatshirt on and off
- Opening a bottle with a twist cap
- 2 Nov 2017
- From wheels to water: a story about a man and his lake
- Quadriplegic drummer
Accord - (Spinal Cord Injuries Australia)
- 23 Nov 2017 Newsletter
- The top 5 assistive technologies to feature at Naidex 2018
Every Australian Counts
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Biweekly Newsletter 15 Nov 2017
- Google maps goes accessible
- Was the iBOT Reboot Just a Marketing Gimmick?
- Wheelchair power assist add-ons to make commuting easier
- Glidewear skin protection underwear
- Monthly magazine Nov 2017 - 2017-2018 Consumer Guide
- Biweekly Newsletter 1 Nov 2017
- Seven Budget-Friendly Products for a High-Performance Home Gym
- Relieving Foot Pressure With Shoe Fixes
- Three Great Accessible Travel Agents
Wheel Love - Real life stories from two girls Sam & Chelsea living extraordinary lives with men who don’t let their wheelchairs define them.
- Going on an accessible road trip to - Yellowstone Park, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas.
Articles of interest from Academic journals
Two’s company, three’s a crowd: disabled people, their carers and their partners, Disability & Society, pp. 1-13.
Disability & Rehabilitation
Heather Fritz, Diane Patzer & Sujay S. Galen, Pages: 1-4
Topic of the Month
The library has gathered articles and resources about all kinds of sports and activities to get involved in such as yoga, golf, scuba diving, boccia, diving with sharks, sky diving. Check them out and get inspired.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.