Resources Library News March 2019
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
For news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 7 March 2019
- Nike signs first professional athlete with CP
- Adaptive aerial yoga
- Celebrating my disabled black girl magic
- Man with muscular dystrophy starts travel agency
Christopher Reeve Foundation - News
- Travel and accessbility tips
- Check out Reeve Connect - a place to talk about anything and everything
- Visit Disability Horizons to keep up to date on news and happenings
- This month read about:
- India - surprisingly accessible
- Disabled model Samanta Bullock on how to love your body
- 7 useful travel tips for disabled adventurers
- Launching Access All Areas, a subscription service that enables Disability Horizons to give you more in-depth and detailed advice and support to really help you achieve what you want in life, whether that be travelling abroad or growing in confidence.
Every Australian Counts
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
icare Lifetime care enews
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Biweekly newsletter 20 March 2019
- 3D-Printed Implants May Offer a Unique Approach for Treating Spinal Cord Injury
- Pushing the Edge of SCI Function - Seth McBride talks with Eddie Crouch about the mental side of maximizing everyday function.
- Seize the Oar: The Joys of Adaptive Rowing
- Cut the Cleanse - Cleanses are big in the world of dieting and nutrition right now but Joanne Smith writes that they can be bad for you. Read what you can do instead to improve your health.
- Biweekly newsletter 5 March 2019
- Disabled Docs — Healing the Medical Model? - Wheelchair users are graduating from medical school and rolling into emergency rooms, operating rooms and private practices with greater frequency than ever before. Tim Gilmer reports on how doctors with lived disability experience may be a key to making health care more inclusive for all.
- A Skeptic’s Journey With Alexa
- Gear Hacks: The Jogger Chair
- March 2019
- Discover accessible Ireland
- Read about the PVA Bass fishing Tour
the Spin Magazine (Spinal Cord Injury BC)
- Spring 2019
- Antonio Ramunno has invented an innovative product to exercise and work out at home - the Wallgym
- Pleasure principles - every person with SCI should unlock their sexual potential. Getting started is easier than you think
- Anemia deficiency - a widespread problem for the general population and even greater for people with SCI
- How SCI disrupts the body's internal clock
- No more blind spots - a innovative backup sensor system for wheelchair users
- and more...
Articles of interest from Academic journals
- ‘Risky’ representation: the portrayal of women with mobility impairment in twenty-first-century advertising, Ella Houston, pp. 1-22 | Disability & Society - new articles online
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.