Resources Library News June 2018
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
For news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 27 June 2018
- Five wheelchair accessible things to do in Melbourne
- Misconceptions about sex and relationships with a disability
- Five extreme adaptive activities
- 20 June 2018
- Cardio and Arm Exercises for Wheelchair users
- Tips For Long Flights For Wheelchair Users
- Home modification - Modifying Living Spaces and Entrances
- 12 June 2018
- Four lessons learned from dating a wheelchair user
- Going on a cruise as a wheelchair user - tips
- 6 June 2018
- Tips for Parents of Children with Erb's Palsy - honesty is the key
- Quadriplegic Becomes Licensed Pilot
- 1 June 2018
- Three tips for travelling as a person with a disability
- Sex after SCI yes it is possible
- Feelings of Hopelessness Lead Quadriplegic to Cherish Life in the Present - live the life you have!
Every Australian Counts
- June 2018 Newsletter
- Trending: This Heartwarming Love Story from the Mother of a Newborn About Her Husband with Quadriplegia is a Must-Read
- Video: Wheelchair Travels to the Next Level - This hydro-powered jet pack made specially for wheelchair use almost broke our Facebook page! We asked our followers if they would consider trying it. They answered with a resounding "YES!"
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- June 2018
- The effects of ageing with an SCI for walkers
- The positive impact of assistance dogs
- Home modifications - some key considerations
- Staying active
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- June 2018 monthly magazine
- Photo Collection Seeks to Offer More Authentic Disability Representation to Media Outlets
- Heterotopic Ossification
- Biweekly newsletter 21 June 2018
- XboxLaunches Adaptive Gaming Controller
- Journey to the Far Side of Tomorrow — Reclaiming Lost Ground - healing from a pressure injury
- Six Tips for Long Haul Road Trips as a Chair User
- Biweekly newsletter 5 June 2018
- Lonely Planet Releases Accessible Travel Phrasebook
- New Products Unveiled at the International Seating Symposium
- June 2018
- There's a wealth of accessible attractions to visit in Kentucky
the Spin Magazine (Spinal Cord Injury BC)
- Summer 2018
- A gripping tale of strength - read about Reggie Edgerton's experimental therapy involving non invasive spinal stimulation to enable hand function
- Voice activated smart homes
- Managing your own personal care
- SCIRE Community makes SCI information previously intended for clinicians and researchers available to people with SCI by writing in everyday language.
Spire - AQA Victoria
- NewsLink June 2018
United Spinal Association (USA)
- April 2018 Newsletter
- Mapping Accessibility through Google Street View
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with Parenting.
- Thinking about starting a family? The Resources Library has some great resources and strories on what is involved in becoming a parent. Click on the parenting link to get started.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.