Resources Library News February 2019
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
For news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 6 Feb 2019
- Dad uses wheelchair to teach daughter to walk
- What to expect from airport security as a wheelchair user
- Women with SCI: dating
- Paraplegic demos toilet transfer
- Adaptive snow skiing
- Quadriplegics nightly routine
- Advice for preparing for a baby
Accord - (Spinal Cord Injuries Australia)
- Summer 2019
- Freewheeling and fashionable - adaptive clothing
- and more...
the Advocate (Spinal Life Australia Qld)
Every Australian Counts
- Feb 2019 newsletter
- VIDEO: Paralyzed Painter: Out Of Tragedy a Man Finds His True Calling
- GUEST BLOG: Mastering The ‘Pee-Math’
- JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Our Private Group is Growing
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- Feb 2019 (Table of contents)
- Finding and maintaining relationships
- Navigating Canada
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- February 2019 magazine - view digital version emag or pdf.
- 19 Feb 2019 Biweekly newsletter
- Seeking new confessions - Life as a wheelchair user has a way of leading to awkward and often hilarious situations. Have any great stories to share that may be a little too embarrassing for public acknowledgement? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anonymity guaranteed!
- Sexuality After SCI: Creating a Lasting, Transformative Resource
- Inventive Technology
- and more...
- 5 Feb 2019 Biweekly newsletter
- the New Mobility guide to online dating
- Everyday ethics
- Taking care of our kidneys
- and more...
Spire - AQA Victoria
- Feb 2019 Newsletter
- Benefits of exercise for people with SCI
- Intimate chat on dating and relationships
- Saving lives after SCI
Topic of the Month
Click on the link and get up to date on the current debate surrounding medical marijuana.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.