Resources Library News February 2018
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
Assistive Technology Market Insight – interesting read, Disability Equip Australia. The Assistive Technology Market Insight was released in December and highlights business growth and opportunities. It offers data around types of Assistive Technology spend against types of disability, and more.
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 21 Feb 2018 - Parenting issue
- A Mother's Advice Following Her Son's Injury - "Be in the moment!"
- A Child's Diagnosis: Four Mothers' Perspectives - Every child is unique!
- Daughter's Response to Father's Disability - For Elizabeth, her dad will always be her dad.
- 14 Feb 2018 - Relationships issue
- Finding new love after a spinal stroke
- Love is about personal compatibility
- "Fated" to meet his other half
- 7 Feb 2018
- Accessible Vegas
- Visiting Tokyo
- Alaskan adventure
- Feb 2018 Newsletter
- Find out about the latest research and how you can participate.
- 5 Feb 2018
- In this issue UK paralympic champion and political powerhouse Lady Tanni Grey-Thompson talks athletics, politics and changing the world for disabled people. Plus, find out how you too can make a difference for yourself, and other disabled people, like you....
Every Australian Counts
- Feb 2018 Newsletter
- Read how Dani Overcame The Perceptions of Her Wheelchair
- Video: FacingDisability BLOG: An Honest Wheelchair Love Story
- Video: Sex and dating when you're disabled is a whole new ball game
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Have Wheelchair will Travel blog
- 16 Feb 2018
- Travel news, tips and videos
icare Lifetime care enews
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Bimonthly newsletter 15 Feb 2018
- “Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot” to Hit Theaters this Spring - A film based on the memoir of cartoonist, troublemaker, and disability icon John Callahan recently premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and will hit theaters nationwide in May.
- Toyota Flashes Next-gen iBot Preview in Olympic Advertising
- My Unintended Journey Into the World of Flap Surgery - “I’ve been sentenced to a six-month journey with a stage IV ischial pressure sore, but I don’t want to do the time,” writes New Mobility editor Tim Gilmer in the first installment of his blog series, Journey to the Far Side of Tomorrow.
- Watch a webinar by the author of the ebook Sexual Sustainability After SCI.
- How Learning to Shred is Actually a Life Skill - What do you get when you combine big quarter-pipes, gnarly waves, and a whole lot of international humanitarian work? One well-traveled Otter. Christiaan “Otter” Bailey has lived like life is one big adventure since he was a kid, and now, more than a decade into a career as an adaptive surfer and WCMX rider, he’s on a mission to help a new generation wheelchair users develop the skills and confidence to shred their way through the world.
- February 2018 Monthly issue - The Sex, Wheels and Relationships issue
- Four couples talk candidly about their relationship
- Find out about the latest sex toys
- Dating with a colostomy
- and lots more.....
Spire - AQA Victoria
Wheel Love - Real life stories from two girls Sam & Chelsea living extraordinary lives with men who don’t let their wheelchairs define them.
Women with Disabilities Australia (WWDA)
Articles of interest from Academic journals
New Sexual Repertoires: Enhancing Sexual Satisfaction for Men Following Non-traumatic Spinal Cord Injury, Narelle Warren, Cameron Redpath & Peter New, Sexuality & Disability, March 2018, Volume 36, Issue 1, pp 19–32, » Abstract
A Community Perspective on Bowel Management and Quality of Life after Spinal Cord Injury: The Influence of Autonomic Dysreflexia
Jessica A. Inskip, Vera-Ellen M. Lucci, Maureen S. McGrath, Rhonda Willms, and Victoria E. Claydon,
Journal of Neurotrauma, Abstract |
Topic of the Month
Thinking about going on a holiday and need some inspiration? The library collects stories of people’s experiences traveling to accessible destinations – read them here and get inspired.
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.