Resources Library News December 2018
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
New report from the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute: Matching markets in housing and housing assistance, The study identified five Australian housing markets that could be made more efficient using online technology to match highly specific ‘buyers’ and ‘sellers’. The five markets considered are: swaps in public housing; disability accessible housing; low-cost private rental housing brokerage; apartment presales for low/mid income earners; and precinct-level urban redevelopment. The research also proposed solutions to how the matching markets could best operate.
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 20 Dec 2018
- Increasing public knowledge about parents with disabilities
- Managing spasms
- 12 Dec 2018
- Airline travel tips
- Parenting anxieity
- Comedian with CP
- 4 Dec 2018
- Quadriplegic builds RC lawnmower
- Our young caregiving daughter - “Helping and nurturing have always been in her nature.”
- Parenting with CP
the Advocate (Spinal Life Australia Qld)
Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA)
- 12 Dec 2918
- 10 bizarre experiences with carers
Every Australian Counts
- Dec 2018 Newsletter
- Revelations in a wheelchair - documentary photographer documents New York City from the perspective of a wheelchair.
- Preventing bedsores
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
- 20 Dec 2018
- 13 Dec 2018
- 6 Dec 2018
- Link December magazine edition.
- Meet Empower Golf founder James Gribble, who shares his personal story on how Empower Golf came about and what’s next for this inclusive sport on the world stage. There’s also a 19-page special feature on Employment. You can subscribe to our printed edition or read Link online.
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- Biweekly Newsletter - 19 Dec 2018
- Holiday gift ideas for wheelchair users
- Project WOWii - Need some help getting fit? This research study may be for you. It’s recruiting participants with SCI for a 16-week, online physical-activity program that includes weekly meetings and adaptive exercise routines to do at home. Plus, compensation is provided.
- The revolution will be 3D printed
- Biweekly Newsletter – 5 Dec 2018
- Doing life: pushing beyond fear
- Gawker classification system: You know the type: people whose minds are apparently blown by seeing a wheelchair user out in public enjoying their life. In response, Ian Ruder developed the Gawker Classification System — with subcategories ranging from “quick peekers” to “statues,” “jaw droppers” and “talkers.” Why let the social ineptitude of others ruin your night on the town? Instead, turn it into a fun game for you and your friends!
the Spin Magazine (Spinal Cord Injury BC)
- Winter 2018
- Calorie Crunch - interesting research into energy intake vs energy expenditure particularly for people with quadriplegia.
- Bacteria beater - a new antibacterial indwelling catheter being developed in the UK may prevent repeated infections and blockages
- Neuromodulation - reading through the hype
- and lots more
Spire - AQA Victoria
Articles of interest from Academic journals
- Role of peer support for people with a spinal cord injury, Nursing Standard vol 33 Issue 8, 2018
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with:
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.