Resources Library News August 2018
Featuring new developments and news about spinal cord injury, magazines and newsletters, interesting articles from academic journals and details of new resources that have recently been added to the library.
News from the media and around the Internet
Sex, Technology and Disablity: it's complicated. Some interesting research findings from a researcher at the University of Technology, Sydney.
For more news visit SCIA's news pages, the SCIA Facebook page or if you would like to learn how to set up Google Alerts which are a great way to monitor what is going on in the world of disability and spinal cord injury contact the library and we'll show you how.
Magazines, Journals, Newsletters, Blogs
Click on the links to read the articles in full or to view the magazine table of contents. If you would like to read any of the articles that are featured from the magazine table of contents, let us know the details and we will send the article to you.
AbleThrive - (Tips, advice, stories)
- 28 Aug 2018
- Going to school
- Wheelchair basketball
- 22 Aug 2018
- Cleaning your power chair
- Five life hacks for wheelchair users
- Quadriplegic shares her perspective on sex and intimacy
- Tips for parenting as a wheelchair user
- 15 Aug 2018
- Wheelchair user hikes in the Amazon rainforest
- Self acceptance for a teenager who uses a wheelchair
- Finding employment after SCI
- 7 Aug 2018
- Tips for taking a holiday as a quadriplegic
- Swimming with a flotation device
- Advice for new caregivers to loved ones with SCI
- 1 Aug 2018
- Person with paraplegia demonstrates how she drives
- Person with quadriplegia demonstrates how she walks her dog
- Go up/down a steep ramp in a manual wheelchair
the Advocate (Spinal Life Australia Qld)
- Spring 2018
- Building the Healthy Living Centre in Cairns
- Visiting Alice Springs and Uluru
- Aug 2018 - Spinal Network eNewsletter
- Read about the latest research and find out how you can get involved
Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA)
Every Australian Counts
- SCI highlights for August 2018
- Video: Paralyzed adventurer invents adaptive mountian bike that gets him back on the trails
- BLOG: No straws - no thanks
- Trending: Michael Johnson, paralyzed since age 12, wins sports-car race
- FacingDisability resources: Active lifestyle websites
Forward (Spinal Injuries Association UK)
- August 2018
- Dealing with loss as we age
- Walking after SCI
- Accessorising your wheelchair
- Understanding "accessible accommodation"
- New York on wheels
- Pigeon racing
- Visit the website to get news and events. You can also subscribe to their newsletter to get the news delivered to your email.
Link - This weeks What's news in Disability and Monthly magazine
NDIS News from NDIS.gov.au
New Mobility (United Spinal Association, US)
- August 2018 monthly issue
- Biweekly newsletter 15 August 2018
- Playa Crawler ‘Wheelchair’ - check out this crazy chair that was made for getting around at the Burning Man festival
- Small details equal major improvements in wheelchair technology
- Biweekly newsletter 1 August 2018
- Parenting from a wheelchair: the early years
- #Strawban vs the Disability Community
- Major brand features wheelchair user as underwear model
- Going vegan - find out the benefits
Spire - AQA Victoria
Topic of the Month
Click on the link to read resources the library has gathered on all things to do with:
New Books, Articles, Websites added to the Resources Library
To borrow any of the books listed please contact the library or ph 1800 819 775. To see what else has been recently added to the library, click on Lists on the black bar on the home page of the library.
About the Resources Library
SCIA's Resources Library provides a comprehensive collection of resources relating to spinal cord injury and disability - you can search or browse by subject to all of the material in the library. Discover new resources, forums, websites, blogs and places that you can visit to share your experiences and learn from others. We are always on the lookout for new material to be added to the collection so if you come across something that you think the library should have please let us know.
Library contacts and further assistance
If you have had a good look around the library and the Resources pages on our website and can’t find the information you are looking for, our staff are very happy to help you. We can be contacted on email or give us a call on 1800 819 775.